Thread: EOS Utility won't open

EOS Utility won't open

EOS Utility has worked for me over the last year (w/XP SP2) but I had to reinstall Windows XP (SP3) and I tried to download
    images from my 20D and got an error message "EOS Utility enocuntered
    problems and needs to close" so I reinstalled EOS Utility and EOS
    Utility Upgrade and got the same message. I tried using the Windows Scanner and Camera Wizard and it
    said no images were on my camera (but that's not the case) so it could
    not do anything. Then I tried to install EOS Utility in Safe Mode but did not have high enough monitor resolution to set up launcher. DPP and EOS Utility Viewer do open. Why won't EOS Utility open?

Re: EOS Utility won't open

From what you're saying, the only difference in the information is SP3. Have you tried it with SP2?

I have to try that. Uninstall SP3 then download 300 MB from MS and then reinstall. What a joke. All other Canon software works. Canon contacted me and told me the remedy was to plug the USB cord in the PC and turn the camera on. They didn't even read my problem. What another joke. Completely useless.

cool9,

You might be having a problem associated with your installation of Windows. I say this because I am using XP Pro SP3, and the programs work fine for me. I am also running Essentials HDR with no trouble. I don't have a very powerful laptop, but it is not exhibiting the issues you describe.

So I just ran into this very same problem on my Macbook Pro and running snow leopard. Its killing me. The program worked one day, and then the next it just decided not to work. I
    7D | 1D Classic | EF 70-200 f/2.8 L IS | EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS

Quote Originally Posted by MikeG2012

So I just ran into this very same problem on my Macbook Pro and running snow leopard. Anyone got a clue?

None, unfortunately. I'm running Mac OS X 10.6.7 on my MacBook Pro, and EOS Utility 2.9.0 runs just fine... [^o)]

I just got a reply from Canon. Gonna try their process and if it works I
    7D | 1D Classic | EF 70-200 f/2.8 L IS | EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS