Thread: Pentax new big gun!

Pentax new big gun!

I just came across this article, the new Pentax 500/5,6 available in december 2012.
    As a canon 400/5,6 user i was really excited, until i saw the price (6999,95 us dollar).
    Well 6999,95 is still cheeper than 10-12K for Canons 500/600 f4.0 (800/5,6), but i don't
    think any won will jump to Pentax just cause of this.
    It's still nice to see that Pentax is committed and delivering new and exciting products.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/09...AW-for-K-mount

Mikke, it has a red ring on it so it must be an ok lens.
    And no, I do not see a large number of Nikon/Canon users selling off their glass to make this move.

I've used the K5, it's practically a 7D with regards to most things (just a tiny bit less in some areas). And it costs about the same as a 60D. For someone with no glass investments, it's a very nice system, it even comes with a weather-sealed 18-55 kit lens (compare that with all of Canon's weather-sealed EF-S lenses...).

If the 6D proved anything, it's that no-competition means boring-releases (at least, when the 6D started its design cycle there was the 5D2, and nothing else around for miles to compete).
    Bring on more players, Pentax and Sony, get innovative and force Canon to compete (and maybe that $12k for the L might drop down to $10k if there were any real competition in that segment...)
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

Rather unattractive lens, aesthetically speaking. Looks like a throwback, or a slightly upscale one of those Opteka/Rokinon/etc. $200 f/8 MF lenses, except for that fancy, expensive looking red ring. The MFD is really long - 5.6 m / 18 ft (compared to the 3.7 m / 12 ft of the Canon 500/4 II.