Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flash Battery durability

Flash Battery durability

I have a 580 EX Speedlite and I use Everready NiMH rechargeable batteries with it. I just went out with a fully charged battery set and was able to shoot only around 20 fill-in flashes with it before they died. The batteries are relatively new and I have 3 sets of them. I roughly get equivalent performance from all of them. I also have 2 chargers, one is a quick charger and the other takes around 8-10 hours for a full recharge.

This morning's shooting was in cold conditions around 30F or -1C.

Just wonder if this is typical with other users or do I have defective stuff. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I use to use nicads with my Speedlite 199A and got great durability.

Re: Flash Battery durability

I have (essentially) four 580EX IIs. When I started with them, I used the Impact (perhaps B&H store brand?) AA NiMH rechargeables. Great power at 2900mAh, but newer batches seemed to go downhill in quality FAST. Some of the newer ones were duds right out of the carton, others went dead within a few charges. Since then, I've noticed that they leak down, as many NiMH batteries reportedly do. I can't say any have died as quickly as yours. I have about 10 sets of those.

I recently got six sets of the Sanyo "Eneloop" batteries. Lower power at 2000mAh, but reportedly no leakdown. So far, they've definitely been VERY impressive.

Regardless, I have the La Crosse BC-900 battery charger. Unless I'm seriously pressed for time, I always charge at 200mA; I suspect that's a big reason that all of my batteries have done as well as they have. I normally mark each set with an ID, and keep that set together through use and recharging.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

peety3:

Thanks for your comments. I think mine were bad to start with or just died. I have 3 sets which I never mix. I don't think I've charged each of them more than a dozen times.

This morning, I thought I'd do a test by pulling out a set of nicads and going to repeat what I did the other day. I got at least 60 shots out of them which was typical in the past. When they ran out I put in a set of NiMH and got about 3 shots. Yes THREE shots only.

I think I'll have to find my other sets of nicads for the short term and look for a better brand of rechargeable AA's.

Ouch. My charger shows me battery voltage when I first insert the battery. My Impact batteries are almost always at 1.20-1.25V, but some that sat too long in window 'candles' or in flashes have been in the low 1.1V range. However, some of the newer Impact batteries, either right out of the box or a few cycles later, have been showing up as -null-, which is the same as 'no battery'. That battery is officially dead then.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

i used SONY 2700amh it last 250 shots back up energizer E2 this will last 220++ shots

I use Energizer E2 2500 in mine. Shooting at 1/1 inside of a soft box I probably get 80-100 shots out of it. I have a high speed charger that charges them in 15-20 minutes. I have about 32 in my bag for my 3 light system, two 580ex2s and one 430ex. In the 430 they last longer and if I use the the 580s at lower power they last substantially longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith B

I use Energizer E2 2500 in mine. Shooting at 1/1 inside of a soft box I probably get 80-100 shots out of it. I have a high speed charger that charges them in 15-20 minutes. I have about 32 in my bag for my 3 light system, two 580ex2s and one 430ex. In the 430 they last longer and if I use the the 580s at lower power they last substantially longer.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

I'd be VERY afraid of a rapid charger - I'd expect very short lifetime of batteries that way.

"I'd be VERY afraid of a rapid charger - I'd expect very short lifetime of batteries that way."

I use the regular charger most of the time and just carry the high speed one in my bag for emergencies.

Glad to see this thread...it reminded me to get off the dime and order a rechargeable battery solution. I decided on this bundled solution (currently on-sale) from Thomas Distributing:

http://thomasdistributing.com/shop/la-crosse-bc900-battery-charger-w-lcd-displaybrincludes-8-sanyo-eneloop-batteriesbrdeluxe-travel-bag-accessory-kit-br-p-1015.html?SP_id=67&amp;osCsid=dk3iakq6ij0rf6lf01b8 4i0so0

Seemed like a good package with the charger and including the batteries for $58.

Rick

With 8 eneloops, it's a good price. I think it'd be $65 if purchased separately on Amazon.