Thread: PS Elements 7 vs Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo X2

PS Elements 7 vs Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo X2

For an amateur, which one do you think is better to use. Have you had any experience in any of those ?

Thanks

Re: PS Elements 7 vs Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo X2

I've had PSP Photo X2 for just over a year now and it has its uses but I have mostly used it for HDR merging. I got it because it was cheaper (a lot cheaper) than CS3 but seemed to offer more than PS Elements 6 (the most recent versions at the time). My biggest problem with PSP was that when I upgraded from the 350D to the 40D, my RAW files were no longer supported so i had to convert images into JPEG and then do any PP that I wanted to. PSP Photo X2 Ultimate is now available that does support 40D RAW files but I don't see the benefit in upgrading based on how a) much use I get out of it and b) the worrying feeling I am getting that if Canon bring out a 60D in the near(ish) future I would buy that and thenhave to wait a year for a new version of PSP to come out so that once again my RAW files are supported.

I downloaded the trial version of PS Elements 7 today to see how it felt, and while it looks very pretty, I'm not sure how much more it has to offer over PSP. I certainly haven't fallen in love with it.

In terms of which is better to use, I think that would be a very personal decision. From my perspective they are fairly equal in terms of usability.

One piece of software I used to use a lot before I bought a DSLR was Picasa but I am finding that although it feels and looks nice and is very easy to use, it radically alters how my pictures appear in terms of darkness and contrast. If the people at Google could fix that then I would certainly be interested (but I can't complain, after all, Picasa is free).

Re: PS Elements 7 vs Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo X2

<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"]Why do you want it?<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] If it is to give up on photography and take up photoshopography then CS3 is the best you can get.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] If you want a program just in case then PSP would be better than Elements.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] I used to have CS2, didn&rsquo;t use it so changed to Elements 4 then upgraded to Elements 6 and also had a copy of PSP photo X2.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] As I sit here now with a laptop and PC in front of me none of this software is loaded as I never used it.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] I use DPP and capture One 4 and that&rsquo;s it.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] I will add that my biggest problem with CS2 and Elements was the ability to bring even the most powerful PC to its knees. <span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"]<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"]